www.flickr.com

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Fighting Censorship?!


Today was my last holiday;( Knowing about this weeks daily must-to-do work I decided to go on with my revisions of my second draft. I  revised the whole afternoon- from 2 to 6- with 2 short breaks in between.
Pheww!!

The funny thing was that I forgot many scenes- they were so new to me! Really interesting to start revisions after 3 months again. (But difficult to remember as well! I have no idea what I wanted to say with some unfinished sentences! Help!)

Some scenes were filled with so much cruelty (good for tension!), others were so irreal or in some parts the main character (MC) only used the F-word or varieties of it in many sentences.
Ok, he was very angry in that scene but couldn´t he use other cuss words? Who the hell did write these scenes??;)

Now I am in the position to decide whether to use the F-word or not.
Censorship or not- that´s the question.

But on the one hand I fight censorship in books and stand up for freedom of thoughts- censorship would restrict my freedom of expression.To get a realistic scene, the MC had to use these words. So why shouldn´t I use it ?

On the other hand I´ve never written such an aggressive scene before nor did I write down the F-word. Ok, it´s my second draft, my second story- but these could be other reasons for my indecision....Hmmm.....
So?
To get the scene alive I have to use the unwanted word- BUT
the next trouble, the next decision: Should I really write the whole word? Or just make some dots in between?
My MC would laugh at me and tell me to write down the whole word because he would speak in that way.

So what is the best for the reader? What´s the best for the writer?
I have never imagined that one single word could cause such problems! ****
Readers are different and I cannnot give satisfaction to every reader- that´s impossible- unfortunately;(

One word - so many decisions!
I hope to find a good solution for this scene because I won´t delete it- it´s too essential.

5 comments:

  1. Boa noite, mARTy! :)))

    Wow! So much new and beautiful here!
    First... pretty flowers, dear!
    Flores também são meu ponto fraco! Eu amo flores! :))) Flowers of all colors and all flavors.

    Honey, Did you make that painting in the top right? What a spectacle of color and joy! I also loved! Tell you the truth looks eatable! :O

    Honey, if the word is essential, be sure to use. I'm not use words "ugly" very consistently... but there are times when they are necessary... are exactly the expression of the moment. I've read many books that contained this type of word... no problem to me read it!

    By the way...the word is FUCK? ^,^

    I remember when I went into a toilet of a pub in London was written on the wall inside:
    "If you think that fuck is funny
    Fuck yourself and save your money"!
    \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

    See you around, dear!
    Many sweet beijos, queijos (lots of!), revisions, flowers, sun, cakes, music, joy, life... and love, of course, the base of life!


    ░░░(¯`:´¯)░░░░░░░⋰⋰
    ░░(¯ `•.\|/.•´¯)░░░⋰⋰⋰⋰⋰⋰
    ░(¯ `•.(۞).•´¯)░(¯`:´¯)⋰⋰⋰⋰
    ░░(_.•´/|\`•._)(¯ `•.\|/.•´¯)
    ░░░ (_.:._).░(¯ `•.(۞).•´¯)
    ░░░(¯`:´¯)░░(_.•´/|\`•._)
    ░(¯ `•.\|/.•´¯)░░(_.:._).
    ░(¯ `•.(۞).•´¯)░░░░⋰⋰⋰⋰⋰
    ░░(_.•´/|\`•._)░░⋰⋰⋰⋰⋰
    ░░░(_.:._)░░░░░⋰⋰⋰⋰⋰

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bom dia, Teca!
    Eu amo flores também;)
    I did the painting on the right- you´ll find it in my other blog;) Thanks for the compliment!
    Yes, that´s the right word.
    I know that you can find it in many novels- but in some countries or by many readers it´s not wanted and/or tolerated.
    But my main character has to talk like this in that scene.
    Thanks for your comment;)
    Muito obrigado!Beijos e queijos claro! Bom dia;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahahahahaha
    I'm loving to read you in Portuguese. I wonder how would hear you speaking... Normally foreigners are common delightful accent speaking Portuguese. :)))
    Boa noite, meu amigo!
    Beijos, queijos, flores, abraços e laços.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no idea whether the grammar is correct or not- but I don´t use so much of it;)) I wouldn´t be able to pronounce a word correctly-except obrigado;) So I wouldn´t have an accent at all. I´m now learning through your blog to get the meaning out of some sentences; in some cases it´s easy , because there are similarities in other languages-- to Spanish (where I just know some basics) and Latin (which I learnt at school). It´s an interesting challenge;)
    I know that your language is hard and difficult to pronounce so I´m happy to be able to wish you boa noite, meu amiga;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry about what I said earlier... I just made ​​an observation I've seen.
    I don't have the slightest way for languages​​... My spoken English is very poor, I better get out of writing, yet I'm aware that I make many mistakes.
    I just like to communicate with people... I like to exchange ideas and experiences... I don't have much knowledge of many things...

    If you allow me...just only you know more:
    For Men: Boa noite, MEU amigO.
    For women: Boa noite, MINHA amigA.

    See you as soon.
    Beijo...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for spending some time on writing your comment- wish you a happy day;-)
mARTy